Saturday, March 10, 2012

Response outside of "Disrupting Class" questions

I feel like I just peaked around the curtain or got some cheat codes how to advance myself professionally, and do something that will genuinely help students. I hesitate posting this "secret," but I reckon I can share with anyone who reads this blog.

Having just finished the first five chapters of "Disrupting Class," it seems my views of what it means to be a teacher in the 21st century have changed. I hinted at it in the last question in my previous post. Maybe teachers of the future will create and facilitate content and resources rather than directly instruct. I feel like most students are non-consumers of the writing process. They do it out of obligation, not desire. I just have to create resources and videos and let them teach themselves. I can also be present for individual attention.

This seems like it devalues my role as an educator. But I would be doing the hard work of creating the student centered activities on computers or whatever technology I have access to. I do the heavy-lifting up front, and let the students do the learning in school and at home.

It is daunting, but it also seems like the obvious way to have students learn, which the the ultimate goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment