Tuesday, March 13, 2012

EDSS 531 Journal #4

What are your biases and how do you mitigate your behavior when working with students?


This is a difficult question. I am not sure how to answer it without sounding either insincere and oblivious or ignorant and prejudiced. I do not know if I could discern and post specific examples, but I know I have a limited perspective as a young white male. Growing up in a primarily white middle-class area outside of Buffalo. My high school consisted of the same demographics, thus I grew comfortable with people like myself.

In California, things are much different. There is more diversity, which I have tried to actively open myself up to, but this process will never be complete. Every student, parent, and colleague I work with is a unique person who has a perspective different than my own. These are the things I need to keep in mind, not surface judgements and assumptions.

No comments:

Post a Comment