Monday, March 5, 2012

EDSS 546B Reading Response #1


Here is an older Reading Response to English Methods that I had previously emailed, here now to fill out my blog portfolio. 

  I am truly excited for this technologically inspired semester. It is a field I am experience in and inspired by, thus to be able to bring that into the classroom is fascinating. I have considered how we as educators must compete with students attention considering all this exciting technology we have available. I am looking forward to the ways we learn not to pull them away from the “fun” stuff, but essentially trick them into doing more of it with an educational spin so they learning something about reading or writing along the way.
  I think being computer literate is an invaluable skill for citizens and professionals, but as the Alliance for Excellent Education states, it does not get taught or funded readily. I want to do more than show students how to make a PowerPoint. I hope to have the resources to give my students this experience and it may require some innovative thinking. In my CP I, my cooperating teacher sought outside her district in two months received an extra monitor, keyboard, and remote clicker through the Donors Choose charity, which can be found at http://www.donorschoose.org/.
  The degree to which a student learns content, language, and technology skills is up to the teacher. Budgets and districts can be blamed, but there are resources available to those who want to make an impact. I still find there are new things for me to learn about technology, but I know that having this skill set and a desire to teach these to students will put me in a good position when it comes to looking for a job. But I am am not just seeing the advantages of using PLNs from thoughts on a prospective career. The Digital Learning Imperative reminded me there results of using technology in class are two-fold. Students learn the content and a 21st century skill set. 

No comments:

Post a Comment