Tuesday, March 13, 2012

EDSS 531 Journal #5

Looking back at your teaching last semester, what did you discover about the needs of students in your classes? What kinds of “needs” surfaced that surprised you?
To what degree do you think you really understand the needs of your students? How wide is the “gap” between them and you?
What might have surfaced in the reading or in your teaching (about the realities of students’ needs) that triggered a negative response in you? Try to identify why this response was triggered and how it relates to your biases.


The two things that come to mind are: students need to write more and students need to know class in an environment to take chances and make mistakes in the process of learning. Writing is something that is learned by doing and receiving feedback. It is about taking chances and pushing oneself. This relates to my second concern. I am surprised that students are so concerned looking for the one right answer or are afraid of being wrong that they do not make attempts in the creative process.

This is a difficult thing to teach because I cannot get caught up in my thoughts on a piece that I squash the chances of a student formulating their own thoughts. And when they do, I have to be positive and constructive so that if what they said was not completely accurate, they can learn without being afraid of trying again in the future.

I have thought about these things and I will take more thought, observations, and experience until I get a better understanding of their needs. Through college, writing has become a natural process and I have elevated my skills in this area. While I want to hold high expectations to motivate the students, I need to “recalibrate” my thoughts on writing levels in high school versus college.

In all subject areas, there is a difference between the levels of work in high school and college. I have been accustomed to one way, but high school students are not at this level. It was a stark realization, but it comes with the duty as a teacher to get them to this level. I had to confront the notion that adolescence today are less capable of critical thinking because of the Internet and television. Fundamentally, they are no less capable than any other generation, it is a matter of presenting them with relevant and engaging challenges to inspire this activity.

I also recognize that in the 6 years since I was in high school, culture and generations have changes, so I do not know everything about student academic, emotional, physical, and social needs. But with this knowledge, I can be open and receptive to there needs as they arise so that I can respond. I do not know everything, but this is not an invitation not to try. Rather it is a challenge to help every unique student.

1 comment:

  1. William,
    I really liked that you illuminated the fact that kids need to feel safe enough to make mistakes. I think that this is something the students are constantly afraid to do. As teachers we need to ensure we are constantly encouraging students to be okay with making mistakes. Learning from one's mistakes can be one of the best ways to learn.

    ReplyDelete