Wednesday, February 15, 2012

EDSS 531 Journal #3


  • To what degree do you think you really understand the needs of your students and what they need for the 21st century?
  • How wide is the “gap” between them and you?
  • In what areas are the gaps?
  • What can you do to make connections?
   As much as I would like to talk about how computer and technology use comes naturally to me, I do not think I understand the needs of my students for the 21st century. The reason for that is because I think no one does. This might seem like a cheeky answer but I think it is true. We have no way to determine what the technologic, economic, and global scene will be like this time next year.
   What I do know is that I can help students by showing them what I know, and learning from them what I know about video editing, photo manipulation, presentation software, and online tools so that they can be as prepared as possible.
   Seeing as it was not so long ago I was in high school, I think I have a pretty good insight as to their world and how technology is a great tool and distractor. I have to honestly confront the “boring” elements of my content area and be aware of the distractions students face. I think I am clever enough to “flip” the distracting nature of computers and technology to help students.
   And this has a two-fold effect. Assignments that seamlessly integrate technology help students learn the content and contribute to their digital toolbox. One thing I can help myself to do this better is listen to students, see what they are good at, and learn from them. This collaborative process should help both parties and allow for more divergent thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment