Monday, February 13, 2012

EDSS 530 Visitors and Residents

Watch the following video: Visitors and Residents by Dr. White and then write a blog post reflecting on where you are in this continuum and how you see your future on the Internet. If possible, leave a thoughtful comment on some of your peers' blogs


   When I saw this assignment, I thought, "I don't need to watch that video. I'm young, I've grown up with technology, I'll just wing it with some stuff that will sound good." Then I saw the video was 20-minutes and thought even harder about this prospect.
   But I suppose that is that is what makes me a resident. I am so used to being able to consume information and aggregate what I need into my choice of digestible media. I used Google reader, Twitter, and Youtube subscriptions to bring me information. This is all for non-academic material, depending on who you talk to.
  Until recently I was used to keeping everything separate. I have over 10 Gmail accounts each with their own purpose. But now I see the value of bringing it all together. I made one last Gmail account to tie everything together. I am less conscious about my personal and professional lives colliding, because people are bound to find out my personal obsessions sooner or later. Since Google accounts are so prolific online I am using this is create my personality on the web. Mostly, I am taking stuff in, rather than creating videos for Youtube or using Photoshop to manufacture an image or graphic. But I am getting there. Before I would use Twitter just to follow comedians and other funny people. I am still doing that, but I see the value of using it professionally, and getting students to use it as well.
  As I become more ingrained in the web and use it more like my own space, rather than a tool to serve me- the lines between life online and offline become blurred. As Piratebay founder Peter Sunde said:


When did you meet [fellow defendant Gottfrid] for the first time IRL?” asked the Prosecutor. 
“We do not use the expression IRL,” said Peter, “we use AFK.”
“IRL?” questioned the judge.
“In Real Life,” the Prosecutor explained to the judge.
“We do not use that expression,” Peter noted. “Everything is in real life. We use AFK—Away From Keyboard.”

No comments:

Post a Comment