Friday, June 8, 2012

Using technology to remind students of homework

I have been dealing with a class that tends to forget homework. Over the last few weeks, I have bribed them with acculating rewards (soda, donuts, pizza, BBQ) for the last day if there is 100% homework completion. They have gotten close, but so far there have been no perfect days.

I talked with one student on why she had not been doing her homework. I also asked where she wrote her reminders down. She said she kept that in her phone, but forgets to check it. (gasp!) So I went over it adn showed her how to enter it into her phone, which happened to be an iPhone, in a way that it would remind her over the weekend.

This is not a new idea. Schools are also making it easy to share homework assignments online. But I found it takes the extra step of showing the students how to maximize their devices.

Then, I had an even better idea. It may not be original, but I thought it up by myself. In my class, I am going to set up a Google Calendar that I can invite students to view to supliment any assignments I say in class. The benefit of this is I can easily set reminders so that it pops up on a student's computer or smartphone. Though it may sound complicated, setting up a Google calendar and programming the steps in are easy processes. Despite the ease, it is a reliable, high-tech way to remind students of their assignments.

(Pics to come)

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea. Has been working? I know its the end of the year, but what's your take so far?

    How do you get it to remind them on their devices?

    ReplyDelete